Monday, December 7, 2009

A Ghost Did It!

One of my greatest fascinations and greatest fears in this life is the paranormal. I love it, study it, talk extensively about it and yet, God forbid, if I ever saw a ghost (spirit, whatever), I would shit myself.

Since I was a kid, I have laid awake at night, convinced that any noise in the dark is a ghost. I cannot accept that the house is settling. It's far more logical that a civil war soldier is re enacting his last moments on earth in the living room than the fact that it's winter and the wood frame is contrasting.

I blame my family.

When I was young, my sister Laura, who I shared a room with, would talk in her sleep/ threaten me and my little brother John would sleep walk, resulting in a very active night life for my imagination. My oldest sister tells me that I claimed to have seen "Mary the mother of God" when my parents forced us to go on a trip to Catholic Family Land (Yes, that actually exists, but that's a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother blog!) and ended up in a cemetery. And my parents and teachers told me that if I didn't take communion at church, then the devil would be able to not only possess me, but physically harm me. Good times.

As an adult, I have a had a few weird, "ghostly" experiences. I have had a lot of those instances where you put something down, go back for it, it's gone, you search everywhere and then suddenly it's on the floor in the middle of the room. More so, I have had bizarre noises (a tapping on my coffee table while my room mate and I were talking), physical movements (I saw my phone move), Hank the ghost which is a long ass story, and a glass smash by itself in the middle of my kitchen. All of these situations scared me, but why should they? If you believe as I do, there is a life after we die here on earth. Can't these visits perhaps be nice people that I have loved saying "what's crackalackin'?"? (For the record, I am pretty sure my Grandpa wouldn't break a very expensive wine glass just to say hi.) I love the debate, either way.

As you're reading this, you are most likely doubting me and what I "think" I've seen or heard. Perhaps your own spiritual beliefs would prevent you from thinking anything supernatural exists. I do, however, and one day I am gonna get my happy ass on Ghost Hunters, see a ghost and then freak out. It will be glorious and aired for the world to see.

In the meantime, I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for my next encounter with the afterlife. And when my room mate asks who drank the last of the vodka, I'll tell her the truth. A ghost did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment